Tuesday 15 May 2012

The Mushroom Footstool!

For my dear ol' boyfriend's 30th birthday a few weeks ago I decided to make him a toadstool footstool. It's an idea that I've been wanting to make for ages but this just seemed like the apt moment! It took about 4 evenings but over the space of about a month - I was keeping it secret and only really had a chance to do work on it when he'd gone out!

It stands about 20" high and is filled with about 1 1/4kg of toy stuffing rammed firmly inside! I put a circle of cardboard in the bottom too so it has a good flat base. Its also crochet out of robin chunky knit wool.

His face was a delight when I finally gave it to him! I'm glad, as I'm super proud of myself for making the pattern up and just the scale - it's definitely my biggest crochet piece to date!




As you can probably tell from the photos, I've made it up in the round just increasing my stitches until I felt it was big enough. I was surprised how easy it was to do (although had to use the stitch counter religiously!). So far I've only put 4 spots on it, one big un and the rest are the same size, not sure whether to do some smaller ones as well. It is looking a tad Mario at the moment - this wasn't intentional! Would love to know what people think.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I want to make one for my daughter but never crocheted before, too big a task to start with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah maybe if it's your first project, I would probably suggest to do smaller versions first so you get used to keeping the tension equal. I've been crocheting for about 5 years, started off making scarves and mini plush then went from there. Also its nicer early on to do small projects as you get the satisfaction sooner, big projects can be hard work!! Good luck =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The Anthropologie version cost around $170, so you did a fantastic job : )

    ReplyDelete